The recent Defense of Marriage Act “DOMA” ruling has caused some concerns for human resources professionals and in-house counsel of companies headquartered or doing business in California. Those concerns include: (i) how will DOMA impact their policies, (ii) how will it affect benefit plans and retirement plans, and (iii) what does the ruling mean for employers, in connection to Proposition 8?
Please join four of our California-based Drinker Biddle lawyers from our new cross-over group, “California HR,” as they present a one hour audiocast to discuss these issues and the impact of DOMA and Proposition 8 on California employers.
This complimentary presentation will address:
- Possible changes California employers need to make to welfare benefit and retirement plans.
- How beneficiaries are now determined.
- What documentation employers can require in confirming a domestic partnership or same sex marriage?
- The intersection between DOMA and FMLA.
- Marital status discrimination issues and other issues of concern to California employers.
There will be an opportunity at the end of the program to ask questions. Alternatively, if you have questions to present to the speakers ahead of time, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participant Access Instructions:
Dial in 5 – 10 minutes prior to start time using the participant phone number and participant passcode.
Participant Code: 312703
United States/Canada: 866-431-5314